- Fresh grated coconut – 2 cups
- Powdered Sugar – 1 ½ cups
- Milk – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice – 1 teaspoon
- Ghee – 2 teaspoons
- Saffron Strands (Kesar) – ¼ teaspoon
- A pinch of turmeric
- Cardamom Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Pistachios sliced – for garnishing
- Water – 1 ¼ cup
- Grease 8x8 inch pan with ghee and keep it aside.
- Take saffron and 1 tablespoon milk in a small bowl. Heat it in microwave for few seconds and then rub saffron between your index finger and thumb. So it gives nice yellow color. Keep it aside till needed.
- Take coconut, sugar and milk in a pan.
- Mix well and turn on the heat on medium.
- Cook it for 15-17 minutes while stirring continuously.
- Cook it till all liquid evaporates.
- Then add saffron-milk mixture, cardamom powder and khoya.
- Mix well and cook it for 10 minutes while stirring continuously. It should look sticky, dry and lumpy.
- When done, transfer to greased pan and spread it evenly.
- Top it up with sliced almonds or pistachios. Press nuts little bit so it sticks to burfi.
- Let it cool completely. Then divide it into equal pieces.
- Remove it from pan gently without breaking it. And serve and store leftover in air tight container.
Follow MM Mithaiwala