|Khasta Kachori - M M Mithaiwala|
“Khasta” means crisp and flaky & “Kachori” is an Rajasthani Indian snack !
What's better than Kachori on any cozy, lazy, rainy afternoon?
For the Dough:
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 cup maida
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- chilled water to bind the dough
For the Filling
- 1/2 cup readymade Moong Dal Namkeen
- 1 teaspoon asafoetida
- 2 teaspoon ajwain
- 2 teaspoon each (cumin Powder, coriander Powder, red chilli powder, dry mango powder, fennel powder, pomegranate seeds powder - Anardana, chaat masala powder)
- oil for deep frying
Method for Moong Dal Khasta
- Mix the flour, salt and oil and rub oil and flour between fingers to get bread crumb like texture.
- Add the chilled water slowly, mixing with your fingers as you pour.
- Add just enough water to get all the dough together and knead to make a soft and
- smooth dough.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for at least fifteen minutes.
- Crush Moong Dal Namkeen in blender to a coarse powder.
- In a pan dry roast all the masalas for filling and mix nicely with crushed namkeen, adjust salt and seasoning as per taste.
- After 15 minutes of resting, knead the dough just once more to make it smooth.
- Divide the dough in lemon size equal parts.
- Take one part of the dough and with your fingers flatten the edges and make into 3-inch circle leaving center little thicker then edges around.
- Mold the dough into a cup & place 1 teaspoon of filling in the center.
- Pull the edges of the dough to wrap the dal filling. Repeat with the rest. Let the filled ball rest for 3 to 4 minutes before rolling.
- Set the kachoris on a surface with the seams facing up. Using the base of your palm, slowly flatten them into about 3 inch circle.
- Preheat oil for deep frying in a frying pan on medium heat. Fry these stuffed moong dal kachori's on medium-low heat.
- After they start to puff, slowly turn them over to the other side. Fry until golden-brown on both sides.
- Serve the Moong Dal Khasta Kachori with yogurt, Green Chutney,Tamarind Chutney & chopped onion.