|Saffron - M M Mithaiwala|
While saffron may be the world's most expensive spice, fortunately a little goes a long Way!
Saffron is a spice derived from the flower of Crocus sativus, commonly known as the saffron crocus.There are three grades of saffron available in Indian market and they are known as Saffron Lachha, Saffron Mongra and Saffron Zarda.
Health benefits of Saffron
- Saffron contains many plants derived chemical compounds that are known to have been anti-oxidant, disease preventing and health promoting properties.
- The flower stigma are composed of many essential volatile oils but the most important being safranal, which gives saffron its distinct hay-like flavour
- It helps in protecting the human body from oxidant-induced stress, cancers, infections and acts as immune modulators.
- The active components in saffron have many therapeutic applications in many traditional medicines as antiseptic, antidepressant, anti-oxidant, digestive, anti-convulsant.
- This novel spice is a good source of minerals like copper, potassium, calcium, manganese, iron, selenium, zinc and magnesium.
- Additionally, it is also rich in many vital vitamins, including vitamin A, folic acid, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin-C that is essential for optimum health.
- A spice like saffron has many fake versions so it is important to be a bit careful in order to not get duped. the highest quality of saffron is deep red with orange tips. It does not have any white or yellow spots.
- Another way to detect real saffron is to soak it in water. See how long it takes for the color to change and the sweet aroma to spread. Real saffron will at least take 15 minutes for these to happen while fake, colored ones will give out the color immediately without much aroma.
STAY HEALTHY !
HAPPY MONSOON !!