Bottle gourd, also called lauki or doodhi, is a vegetable that is probably better known in India for its delicious preparation called dudhi ka halwa.
5 Health Benefits of Bottle Gourd:
1. Aids digestion: People suffering from constipation should eat bottle gourd as it is high in fibre and helps clear the food stuck in your colon.
2. Helps treat urinary disorders: Bottle gourd has a cooling effect on your body, and a glass of bottle gourd juice is a great diuretic that can be used to treat burning sensation while passing urine.
3. Weight loss: Bottle gourd is one of the best foods you can have if you want to lose weight as it is 96% water, and a 100g serving contains as little as 12 calories. The high fibre content will take care of your hunger, and keep you feeling full.
4. Reduces stress: Bottle gourd has a high water content has a cooling effect on your body which makes you feel better the very moment you take it. It also has diuretic, sedative and antibilious properties which makes your body feel better internally, and keeps stress at bay.
5. Refreshes you during summers: Just like cucumber, bottle gourd too has a high amount of water which keeps you hydrated during summers. Drinking a glass of its juice will ensure that you do not face loss of sodium, fatigue or extreme thirst while you are out in the sun.