|MM Mithaiwala -- Happy Durga Ashtami|
Auspicious Day Of Maha Ashtami Has Come !
Navratra Fasts Are Over
Enjoy HALWA ‘N’ PURI
Happy Durga Ashatami.
Chana Masala !
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 can Black chickpeas in water ( 1 1/2 cups precooked + 1/2 cup water)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- juice from one lemon (approx 2 tbsp)
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 large bunch of spinach or two handfuls, rinsed
- In a large skillet or frying pan, sautee onions and garlic in olive oil until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add chickpeas straight from the can, including all the water. Add spices and lemon juice, cover, and simmer about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding more water if needed, until chickpeas are cooked and soft.
- Reduce heat, add spinach and cover. Allow spinach to wilt for 2-4 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy your chana masala!
Sooji ka Halwa !
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 and a 1/2 cups sooji/ rawa
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 3/4 cup mixture of cashews (coarsely chopped ) and whole raisins/ sultanas
- 3 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup whole/ full cream milk
- 1/2 cup Diet sugar
- 5 pods of green cardamom split open
- Heat a deep pan on a medium heat and when hot add the ghee. When it melts, add the Sooji and mix well.
- Roast the Sooji (stirring frequently) till it begins to turn a very light golden color and give off a faint aroma. The roasted Sooji will have the grainy consistency of wet sand. Now add the cashews and raisins to the Sooji and mix well.
- While you are roasting the Sooji, in a separate pot and on medium heat, bring a mixture of the milk, water, sugar and cardamom to a boil, stirring often.
- When the Sooji is roasted, gently add the water and milk mixture, stirring all the while to prevent lumps from forming. If any do form, make sure to break them with the back of the stirring spoon so you get a smooth paste-like consistency. Cook the mixture till it is thick and begins to come away from the sides of the pan.
- Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool to a warm temperature. Serve now in individual bowls.
Follow MM Mithaiwala on