MM Mithaiwala ~ Puran Poli
Swagat nav varshache.
Sukh samruddhiche, padata dwari paaul GUDHICHE.
For The Dough:
2 cups whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
2 tbsp oil
For The Filling:
1 cup toovar (arhar) dal
1 cup sugar
a few saffron (kesar) strands
2 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg (jaiphal) powder
a pinch of mace (javantri) powder
whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling
ghee for smearing
For the dough:
For the dough:
- Combine the flour and oil in a bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 15 equal portions and keep aside.
For the filling:
- Combine the dal with 1½ cups of water and pressure cook it for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Drain any excess water and mash the dal lightly using the back of the spoon.
- Dissolve the saffron in a little water and keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan, add the dal and sugar and cook on a medium flame for 20 minutes or till the mixture thickens, while stirring continuously.
- Add the cardamom powder, nutmeg powder, mace powder and saffron mixture and mix well.
- Cool slightly and divide it into 15 equal portions. Keep aside.
How to proceed:
- Roll out one portion of the dough into a 75 mm. (3") diameter circle.
- Place a portion of the filling in the centre and fold the edges of the dough over the filling. Pinch the edges together to seal the filling in.
- Flatten the dough and roll again into a 100 mm. (4") diameter circle, using a little wheat flour for rolling.
- Cook on a tava (griddle) over a medium flame till it turns golden brown in colour on both the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling to make 14 puran polis.
- Smear a little ghee on each puran poli and serve hot.
Follow MM Mithaiwala on