|Beat The Heat - M M Mithaiwala|
Gear up for the rise in mercury level.
Eat the right foods that will keep you hydrated and healthy.
Eating wisely is especially important right now to minimize our discomfort and maximize our energy .
Here are five simple food tips to help keep you cool:
1. Water- Our bodies can consist of up to about 75% water (less as we age) and during this extreme heat we lose a lot of that fluid to sweat. Even mild dehydration will sap your energy and make you feel tired. Keep your body fluids replenished with plain water.
2. Watermelon - Juicy fruits are in season during the summer and their water content helps to bring our temperatures down.
3. Cucumbers - Lots of vegetables harvested in the summer are also full of cooling water, especially the cucumber, synonymous with cool. Other good choices are tomatoes, celery and leafy greens. Toss them all together in a great summer salad.
4. Sorbet - Although you might be craving a summer ice cream cone, remember that dairy products are rich and heavy and hard to digest especially if you overdo it. Go small on the portions or better yet settle for an all fruit sorbet or just plain fruit.
5. Avoid caffeine and alcohol - Coffee, tea and alcohol all have diuretic properties and the loss of fluids will make you feel even warmer. If you do indulge, go easy and don't forget tip #1 – hydrate with water!
(: KEEP COOL :)